Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Do 5 Year Old's really know??

Am I doing something wrong? Am I really a bad mom that doesn't teach her kid manners?
Poor Megzy--my son--thoroughly embarressed her today at Mickey Dee's. I know he probably was just saying the obvious by saying the very very nice overweight was FAT. How do you teach a child that they cannot say what really is on their mind? I really hope the nice lady did not hear him. If she did, we are getting a bouquet of flowers and I am going to march his little ass in there and make him apologize to her for hurting her feelings. SORRY MEGZY... Aidan will also be bringing you some flowers also for embarressing you.

I think the little black book on parenting that was supposed to come w/ my first baby was accidentally whisked away with the placenta..

4 comments:

mommy to an angel said...

Anytime Olivia asks me about someone - like the other day she asked why wicked's skin was green and why her's was white and some people are brown - I talked to her about how God makes us all different, different colors, different sizes, different everything, but that He loves us all the same and we are all precious to Him. I also told her that when we point stuff out in front of people by talking about the things that make them different from her that it hurts peoples feelings and makes them cry. It seemed to work for her, but I'm sure this isn't the end! We also try to not talk about fat and skinny in our house - I have a niece who is borderline with an eating disorder, but fat this and fat that have always been a HUGE part of my brother's vocab and I hate to see her struggling with this because she thinks her daddy will not love her if she is fat. It's heartbreaking so we just don't use those words in our house.

Megan said...

I always tell Reece that God makes people in all shapes and sizes. But one time Reece asked me why someone was so big, and he said it really loud. When I told him that it made the person sad when people called him big, Reece's response was...why does god make big people if it makes them sad? I guess it is just kids and their curiosity.

mommy to an angel said...

That's what I mean by I'm sure it's not the end...the answers I have given Olivia work for now, but I'm afraid it won't be for long...my time is coming!
I think it's perfectly normal.

Anonymous said...

Ever since my kids have learned to talk, I have held my breath everytime someone who is obviously large, in a wheelchair, or anything that my kids perceive as different are in their line of vision. I have also spoke with them about God making everyone different. I have been pretty lucky in avoiding public embarrassment so far. But my kids do ask me a lot of questions later. Except for the time in the Target bathroom that Joey exclaimed loudly that I peed out of my butt!!