Thursday, June 19, 2008

Potty Training Update

Well, there is no update. Peeing in the potty for Abbey is nil. I have come to believe it might be sheer laziness. For example, I was changing Aaron's diaper this morning and Abbey was standing next to me. I told her go potty. She said that she didn't need to and then 2 seconds later proceeded to look at me and pee herself--standing there right next to me. I've tried everything. Bribes, forgetting about it and putting pull ups back on, time outs, positive encouragement, ....she is even wearing a diaper from Aaron. Nothing is going to work. I repeatedly told her when there are things to do for fun that she is not able to participate in that it was due to her not being a big girl--does not phase her. She has her eye on a princess bike but I keep telling her that she does not get it until she is a big girl.. Should I buy it and keep it in eye's distance and not let her ride it unless she goes potty? I know people will say she is not ready, however, in some cultures, they say babies like 6 months old could be potty trained. I also read that Americans are lazy and hold off on potty training for their own reasons. Maybe so...Maybe I missed the boat w/ Abbey and she was ready a long time ago and didn't realize it and now she is way to far gone.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Hmmmm..tough one....Reece didn't poop in the potty until he was almost 4, so I would still give her some time before you list her on ebay!

Anonymous said...

You didn't miss the boat. She's a stubborn one. Poor Leenie!

Leenie said...

Today's cleanup was very bad---Thanks for the corn Shawnie :)

Jen said...

Amelia was close to 3 before she really got it. And Greta has been trained for almost a year and she has had 12, yes TWELVE, accidents in the past 3 days.

Slap a diaper back on her and re-visit pottyland next month.

Leenie said...

I tried the whole diaper thing again but it didn't work. HOWEVER, I came up the idea that when she pee's in her pants, her beloved bun-bun is taken away and she does not get it back until she goes again in the potty. So far, last night and today it is working.

mommy to an angel said...

Don't push it if she's not ready - otherwise it will just become a game and unfortunately...the toddler wins!!!
If a child is potty trained at 6 months - that's the parents who are trained, not the child! If you want to spend your summer setting the timer for every 15 minutes and carrying her to the potty and putting her on it then by all means spend your summer doing that, but I have a feeling you have better things to do...like floating in the pool with a nice cold beverage :-)
Olivia didn't fully "get it" until right at her 3rd birthday - I think that Abbey is right around the corner - maybe the bun-bun idea will be the icing on the cake for her.
I look back at potty training now and think, "that wasn't so bad", but I remember when I was in the midst of it I said on severl occassions, "so far, this is the hardest part of parenting." It's no easy task - you guys will get through it before too long, I have a feeling she will be riding a nice princess bike by mid-July!