Monday, December 15, 2008

Mare-ism Monday---Installment #3

Big Mare knows how to come up with some doozie's. Just when I thought I would have to sit back and think about what to post, or dig around for something to tell, she just whips one up for me.

Each year, at Christmas Time, my 3 sisters, mom and I try to go shopping together and then out to dinner. This years shopping took us for a little visit to the hotel where my Uncle Larry and cousin Sean were staying. We decided to surprise them, knock on their door, cover the peep hole, and proceeded to sing Deck the Halls just like they do in The Christmas Story---FARR LA LAARR. Anyway, we arranged to meet Sean for dinner after our shopping at Olive Garden.

We somehow got on the subject of smoking, (probably talking about the last Mare-ism). We were discussing how smokey it can get in restuarants and how most places do not even allow it anymore. In true Big Mare fashion--a big light bulb went off above her head. She perched herself on the edge of her , back straight as a board and put her hands in the air making a box shape and said:

"I just don't know why, with all the spacemen flying up into space, and all that space up in space, why those NASAWWW (NASA -but Mare pronounces is w/ the AWW at the end)-why those NASAWWW people cannot just find an invention to just suck this smoke right up into space."

We stared at her, looked at each other and burst out laughing---hysterically laughing. Our cousin Sean was politely trying not to laugh but how could one not.

Again, in true Mare fashion, she started rocking back and forth--back still straight--chuckled w/ us, ran her fingers thru her hair and scurried out to have a cigarette. I believe she may have called us a bunch of profane names before she walked out but I couldn't quite hear her. I'm surprised we didn't get kicked out of Olive Garden for being so loud.

We are so blessed that Big Mare has a sense of humor and does not hold grudges. I found out that she has read the Mare-isms and said, "Ya--I guess they are sort of funny."

No comments: