Monday, December 1, 2008

Weekly Mare-ism.

I have decided to post a Weekly Mare-ism. What is a Mare-ism? ---well, Big Mare--aka, my mom, is lovingly known as "Big Mare". Not sure how we started calling her that instead of mom but it has just stuck.

Our mother is a ...umm...cough cough...hmm hmmm.. a little different. I'm not sure if it due to growing up the only girl w/ 4 other boys but she is definately a little strange. She loves the comfort of her own home and her lounge clothes. So it is not uncommon to go for a visit and she is wear pajama bottoms, hoodie w/ the hood on, and a robe all at the same time. INSIDE the house. We are not sure what fashion magazine or show she saw this ensemble on, but I, and my sisters do not take on her fashion sense.

Don't get me wrong, we love our mother. She was great to us growing up, made dinner everyday an did what she could for us. But boy....did she, and still does, come up w/ some doozies. Perhaps it is the cigarettes that have burned off a few cells in her brain, --not sure --but here are a few that might seem "typical" from mother and others that will make you scratch your head...

'I'll give you something to cry about.' (However, she would be chasing us around the house, not once catching us as we laughed and ran into our rooms. She was so tired from chasing us that she never made it up the stairs to finish the task.) Now, I know what you are all saying. My parents said this too but did yours follow up w/ "You better not let me catch you, 'cause if I start beating, I'll never stop." Like I said, not once, were we caught, nor do I think it was her intention to beat us but to just scare the heck out of us.

"I once knew a kid...." ( She has and still uses this line whenever she can. She will finish it with comments such as... " who choked on a superball" or "who died, walking up hill both ways to school w/out any shoes on" or something really outlandish about a kid dying.)

One of the latest and greatest is regarding my little nephew Mason. He was running a fever yesterday and she said "Maybe he has a fever cause he ate too much"... HUH? What the HECK???

Where does she get this stuff? More to come in the future... Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying!!

mommy to an angel said...

I love big Mare! I can totally hear this coming out of her mouth! If she was right, I'd have a fever every day!!
So, it's Mare-ism Monday on Leenie's blog?!? It has a nice ring to it.
Nice Avatar by the way!

ReeRee said...

Don't forget:" I smoked with all my babies, and you all turned out fine."