Monday, December 29, 2008

Mare-ism Monday---Installment #5

Well, the kids have the stomach flu. I remember when I was a kid and had the stomach flu, I always wanted my mom. Well, when my kids have the stomach flu all I want--- my mom.
Boy, it sure is not fun. The two boys had the courtesy of coordinating their efforts by puking at the same time, They finally settled down to go to sleep around 3:00am. Good times. Good times.

Anyway, Big Mare was great when we were sick with the stomach flu. We always had 7up for our tummy, crackers and soup. Big Mare would set us up on the couch w/ a puke bowl, blankets and the TV. Most times she would lay with us which was a comfort to us and it also gave her a little extra sleep. Anyone that knows Big Mare--understands that she loves her sleep. And yes--all 4 of her daughters take after her. (From what I understand, this is a family trait on the Bossinger side:)

When we were sick w/ a cold, Vicks was the cure all. She would slather it on nice and thick.
'Rub Vicks on your chest, under your nose, etc. It will make you feel better and help you breathe."

OH-- and I can't forget the Caladryl Lotion. Ya know--the thick, minty smelling, pink stuff that was used when you got the chicken pox to stop the itching. It was a common remedy for any type of itch in our house--any!

Going to the doctor was always fun. Good ole Dr. Tanrikalu at the Whiting Clinic. If we were lucky enough to be sick enough and go, we would get McDonald's afterwards and sometimes coloring books and crayons.

I sure don't know how Mare did it w/ 4 sick kids at a time. Perhaps it was the age difference from the older two and the younger two but I give her "props" for doing it.

Thanks mom for taking good care of us. I hope I could be just as good w/ my kids.

3 comments:

ReeRee said...

When I was 9, I had the stomach flu sooo bad. Big Mare was like 7 months pregnant with Megzy. She really tried to take good care of me, but ended up puking in the toilet beside me. So off we went to her bed. I think grandpa dropped some 7 up on the porch for us. :)

Leenie said...

AWWW-BEE BAA- I miss him so much. He probably thought you had the whooping cough.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear a great Mare story!